Motor Drive Technical Primer
Download a copy of our background primer on motor drives, from AC line input to motor mechanical shaft output today!
Many excellent textbooks have been written on the subject of motor drives, but most of these require pre-requisite knowledge and/or are difficult sources of basic understanding for newcomers.
This technical primer aims to provide such an overview by explaining the basics of a motor drive from the input signals (AC line inputs) through motor shaft sensing (mechanical power) and all relevant areas in between. It targets newcomers to these fields desiring a broad overview before seeking deeper technical information from other sources.
Who might be interested?
- Engineering students who are just beginning to learn about the field
- Design engineers new to the field or who wish to learn more about this field. This would include software (control) engineers, inverter subsection engineers, systems engineers, power semiconductor device engineers, and motor engineers.
- Plant or field maintenance personnel who may wish to learn more about this topic, but don't wish to read a detailed textbook(s).
- AC line voltage and current
- Power semiconductors
- Power conversion systems
- Variable frequency motor drives
- Sensing of motor shaft torque, speed, direction, and angle
- Power measurements on sinusoidal (AC) and distorted (PWM) waveforms